[Haskell-cafe] Some Haskell platformish questions

David Pollak feeder.of.the.bears at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 18:31:56 EDT 2007

Duncan,

Many thanks to you as well!

On 8/1/07, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 13:48 -0700, David Pollak wrote:
>

> >       * Can GHC generate stand-alone executables with all the
> >         dependencies linked in such that I can distribute the single
> >         file without worrying about including a bunch of DLLs/SOs? The
> >         answer seems to be yes, but I wanted to confirm.
>
> Yes, but the same is not true of any C dlls you link to, eg GUI libs
> like gtk or wx.

Okay... so I'll have to include the (for example GTK2 DLLs) with the
distribution...

> >       * How real/solid/stable is the wxHaskell widgets package?  Is it
> >         being well maintained?  Is there (okay... this is pie in the
> >         sky) an GUI Builder for it?
>
> Perhaps someone who uses wxHaskell can help you with that. I help
> maintain Gtk2Hs so can tell you about that...
>
> Gtk2Hs is well maintained imho :-) We do releases roughly every 6
> months. The last one was a couple weeks ago. It has an installer for
> Windows and it's included in several other platforms like debian,
> fedora, gentoo, freebsd and macports.

I just grabbed a copy and installed it (on Ubuntu... my preferred
development platform.)

The glade GUI builder can be used with Gtk2Hs on all platforms.

Very cool.  I grabbed Glade as well.  It's pretty sweet.

> Both Gtk2Hs and wxHaskell support Unicode.

Excellent.

> >       * Is there support for SHA256 (I saw an SSLeay package which had
> >         support for a lot of stuff, but not SHA256)?
>
> The Crypto package supports SHA1.

> >       * Are there any production Haskell-based desktop apps of note?
>
> xmonad, an X11 window manager
> VisualHaskell, a Haskell extension to VisualStudio
>
> There are a number of programs that use Gtk2Hs or wxHaskell which you
> can find linked from their websites including:
>
> dazzle, http://wxhaskell.sourceforge.net/applications.html
> pivotal, http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/projects/pivotal/
> himerge, http://fmap.us/himerge.html
> HRay, http://trappist.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste/Haskell/HRay/

Thanks!

David

Duncan

--
lift, the fast, powerful, easy web framework
http://liftweb.net