[Haskell-cafe] Poor first impression

Derek Elkins derek.a.elkins at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 20:06:21 EDT 2007

Michael T. Richter wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-27-04 at 13:09 +0100, Robin Green wrote:
>> > But just think about it... is it easier to DOCUMENT the problem or
>> > just include a workaround in the make install code?
>
>> It's easier to document the problem.
>
> For the individual developer it is easier to document the problem.  For
> the development community as a whole it is easier if individual
> developers fix problems or at least make them more easily spotted than
> obscure notes in gigantic README files.
>
> For the individual developer it takes, hypothetically, two minutes to
> add a note to the effect that an out-of-date version of libreadline is
> required while it may take ten minutes to add a check to the configure
> script (and test it!) and even a day to fix the problem to work with the
> current version of libreadline.  So yes, it is easier to document.  By far.
>
> But now broaden the scope to the community.  The compiler is
> downloaded.  The process of building it begins.  (It does take a long
> time to build GHC...)  The user waits that long time and ... the build
> fails.  Now s/he has to search through output whose error messages are
> not exactly the most friendly in the world.  Typically, for example,
> you're about five levels deep into make and the error message that
> actually tells you what's wrong is in backscroll.  So you find that
> message and slap your forehead.  Doh!  You download and install your old
> version of libreadline and try again.  Time wasted?  Ten minutes at
> least.  More likely half an hour.  Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.  (There are
> probably other dependencies to outdated packages, after all.)
>
> OK, let's go the RTFM route.  Each and every developer reads each and
> every README file in each and every project combing it for references to
> bizarre dependencies.  Let's be hyper-generous and say that each
> developer only spends one minute on the README file; that the README
> files in question are a paragon of informational organisation (instead
> of the more usual data dump in no particular order).  Let's further
> suggest that it takes only five minutes to get all the unexpected
> dependencies worked out, downloaded and compiled/installed.  Total time
> to make up the fix?  Six minutes.
>
> That one minute to find the information in the README file is far
> shorter than the time it would take to add the equivalent logic to the
> configure script.  So if you have one to nine end-users, the net time
> wasted to document instead of modifying the configure script is less.
> But I think that GHC has quite a few more than nine end-users.  The
> aggregate time wasted in the community (without even factoring in the
> time required to compile/install the desired version of libreadline)
> suddenly becomes much higher than the time saved by not writing that
> configure script modification.  Indeed I suspect that the aggregate time
> wasted would be sufficient to justify the modification of the code to
> [...]

All these would be a very good points except they do not match the actual
situation at all.

1) The compiler was not built from source.

2) The compiler built successfully.

3)
[root at localhost ghc-6.6.1]# ghc
/usr/local/lib/ghc-6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1: error while loading shared libraries:
libreadline.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Finding one line in one line of output... quite a bit of rooting around.

4) The fix to the "bug" is simply download and install the libreadline4 shared
object.  No recompilation or reinstallation necessary.

5) The "gigantic README" with it's "obscure note" is here
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_661.html a few lines away from the
download link.  You can probably read it in the time it takes you to find and
click the download link.  Much quicker than waiting for a configure script to
detect the problem.