[Haskell-cafe] Poor first impression

Dougal Stanton ithika at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 05:43:31 EDT 2007

On 27/04/07, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

>  [root at localhost ghc-6.6.1]# ghc
>  /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1: error while loading shared libraries:
> libreadline.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>  #
>
>  So, I conclude that Haskell is not ready for prime time, if it cannot
> install itself correclty including shared libs in a standard Fedora Core 6
> system.

Don't back out yet, the water's lovely! :-)

GHC uses libreadline 4 (as mentioned in the error message), whereas
most systems seem to come only with version 5. The place where you
downloaded the GHC tarball (presumably haskell.org/ghc ?) also has a
compatibility version that includes the older libreadline.

If you install v4 now then GHC will work just fine.

I'd guess there should be a way to get the libreadline4 installed from
your package manager. Something like "sudo yum install libreadline4"
maybe? I don't use FC myself, so can't help further.

Cheers,

D.