[Haskell-cafe] Re: Compilling GHC on Vista

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Thu Apr 26 10:11:19 EDT 2007

> I suspect this may be because gcc has managed to pick up the Cygwin ld instead of the mingw one.
> Monique - what exactly is your PATH?  What happens when you say 'ld --version'?

'ld --version'  doesn't show differences between mingw/cygwin, does it?

and even the mingw ld apparently sets its search_dirs without drive letters:

    $ type -ap ld

    $ ld --verbose | head
    GNU ld version 2.16.91 20050827
      Supported emulations:
    using internal linker script:
    /* Default linker script, for normal executables */
    SEARCH_DIR("/mingw/mingw32/lib"); SEARCH_DIR("/mingw/lib"); SEARCH_DIR("/usr/local/lib");
SEARCH_DIR("/lib"); SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");

and, even under a cygwin bash calling a mingw ld, this won't work if we're not
on the drive on which /mingw was installed:

    $ pwd

    $ ld /mingw/lib/crt2.o -M | grep OUTPUT
    c:\MinGW\bin\ld.exe: /mingw/lib/crt2.o: No such file: No such file or directory

    $ cd c:

    $ ld /mingw/lib/crt2.o -M | grep OUTPUT
    OUTPUT(a.exe pei-i386)