[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANN: IOSpec 0.1

Wouter Swierstra wss at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Wed Apr 25 06:01:49 EDT 2007

Hi Isaac,

<Moving to Haskell-cafe>

> How does or might this relate to the typeclass-based Restricted IO
> monad
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14526
> ?  RIO's technique has the advantage that multiple capabilities can be
> easily combined in one use of the monad - but this manner of using
> typeclasses might interfere with how testable it is? (I think that
> should be okay...  Also that this is a really neat project -
> incremental
> progress on taming Haskell IO in practice!)

Stefan is absolutely right. The RIO, as far as I remember, restricts
which parts of the IO monad you use. The same could be said for the
Test.IOSpec modules. However, the Test.IOSpec also give you a pure
specification of the functions you are using. This is very important
if you want to trace/debug an execution of you code - you can see how
the state of your machine changes at every step. There's also a bit
finer control over how you test your functions: concurrent code is
parameterised over the scheduler, for instance. Both these aren't
possible with the RIO approach.

> P.S. why
>> *If you're an ICFP referee, you may want to avoid reading any
>> further*

ICFP has a double-blind review process: if I were to submit a paper,
I should do so anonymously. The idea behind it all is that if the
reviewers don't know who the author of a paper is, they can't be
prejudiced. The code I just released is described in a paper
submitted to ICFP.

All the best,

   Wouter