[Haskell-cafe] Is there a best *nix or BSD distro for Haskell hacking?

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Tue Apr 24 03:17:19 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 10:02 -0400, David Cabana wrote:
> I have a spare Windows machine I want to put to better use.  I want
> to turn it into a Haskell hacking box, and was wondering whether any
> particular *nix or BSD distribution is best (or worst) suited for
> this.  Any thoughts?

I haven't seen the standard advice (tm) brandished yet, so here it is:

Pick the distribution people around you use.  That way, you're likely to
have somebody to ask when you run into trouble.

If you have no friends, or for some other reason still can't decide, opt
for the most widely used distribution and/or the distribution with the
most knowledgeable user community.  This former is likely to see a lot
more testing, in the latter bugs are likely to get fixed quickly.

-k