[Haskell-cafe] COM and Haskell

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 04:23:27 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 05:45:18PM +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> And I would recommend using VBA, I've done loads of Excel programming
> - VBA is perfectly easy enough, the hard bit is the Excel API which is
> quite big. If you move to Haskell you get a slightly better
> programming language, with the same huge API, at the cost of a painful
> translation layer to the API.

Think about generating VBA code from Haskell. Some time ago I did
something similar with OpenOffice.org and it's UNO API for Java.  I
think it was much more pleasant then writing Java code would be for me.
All data shuffling and laying out the spreadsheet was done in Haskell.
I even had a small DSL for spreadsheet layout.

The only problem was the method size limit in Java - I had to split code
into many methods.

Pozdrawiam
Tomek