[Haskell-cafe] COM and Haskell

Doug Kirk doug at dkirk.com
Thu Apr 19 22:46:19 EDT 2007

I hate to recommend Java to Haskellers, but there is a project named
Poi at Apache's Jakarta site[1] that will allow you to (with some Java
programming) read, write, and manipulate Excel files directly. You
don't have to COM to Excel, you don't even need Excel installed! Nice
for producing spreadsheets for download from a web-based app on the
fly.

It is complete enough to do formatting, formulas, and such, but you
can see the ugly internals of the Microsoft file formats bleeding out,
or at least that was true 4 years ago.

Maybe it would be a nice project to create a Haskell version of Poi.

--doug

[1] <http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/>