[Haskell-cafe] How Albus Dumbledore would sell Haskell

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 19 04:05:17 EDT 2007

| Simon (aka Dumbledore) is speaking to four different Houses: scientists
| (Ravenclaw), engineers (Hufflepuff), entrepreneurs (Slytherin), and
| managers (Griffindor).

I wish I could live up to this image!

Lots of interesting ideas on this thread, and Haskell-Cafe threads are *supposed* to wander a bit.  But, just to remind you all: I'm particularly interested in

  concrete examples (pref running code) of programs that are
       * small
       * useful
       * demonstrate Haskell's power
       * preferably something that might be a bit
               tricky in another language

I have lots of *general* ideas.  What I'm hoping is that I can steal working code for one or two compelling examples, so that I can spend my time thinking about how to present it, rather than on dreaming up the example and writing the code.

(But don't let me inhibit wider-ranging discussion as well.)

thanks

Simon