[Haskell-cafe] How Albus Dumbledore would sell Haskell

R Hayes rfhayes at reillyhayes.com
Wed Apr 18 17:42:54 EDT 2007

In general, problems that would lose millions of dollars are noticed
very quickly.  Quants are constantly analyzing the sources of
shortfall in implementing strategies.  Also, time to market is
generally more important than correctness.  It's much better to have
a strategy that mostly works sooner than a strategy that's perfect
later.  The opportunities to extract alpha from the market decay as
more people see them (it is a zero sum game after all).  Most of this
technology has a lot in common with a Formula 1 race car: you can't
win the race with a car that doesn't risk breaking down halfway
through the race.  Of course, there are exceptions (risk systems,
systems that handle client orders, etc).  The interest I've seen in
Haskell and ML in the quant world has been driven by expressiveness.

On Apr 18, 2007, at 1:47 PM, Seth Gordon wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
>>> You cannot win over the entrepreneur with promises of "easier and
>>> more
>>> robust". This translates to "anyone can do it" and the valuable