[Haskell-cafe] Re: Translating perl -> haskell, string "fill ins" with an error on invalid inputseems awfullycomplex. Is there a way to simplify?

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 08:33:57 EDT 2007

Looks like this needs to be run with

#!/usr/lib/ghc-6.6/bin/runghc
{-# OPTIONS_GHC -fglasgow-exts #-}

to get

instance MyString (Either String String)
   where mystr = id

instance MyString String
   where mystr = Right

to work.

I'm curious if there is a community feeling on whether glasgow-exts is
sort of a de-facto standard now? Or is it common to try to get things
to work without this, for maximum portability?

Is there an easy way to get the above to work without the compiler flag?