[Haskell-cafe] question about Data.Binary and Double instance

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Apr 17 13:32:02 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm wondering what exactly inspired the decode/encodeFloat implementation
for Data.Binary? It seems to me like it'd be much better to use a standard
format like IEEE, which would also be much more efficient, since as far as
I know, on every implementation a Double and a CDouble are identical.

Are there any suggestions how I could use Data.Binary to actually read a
binary file full of Doubles? Should I just use the Array interface, and
forget laziness and hopes of handling different-endian machines? Or is
there some way to reasonably do this using Data.Binary?
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics