[Haskell-cafe] Tutorial on Haskell

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Mon Apr 16 07:42:49 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 13:27 +0200, Thomas Hartman wrote:

> To recap: transform a piece of simple code that works in serial, so it
> works in parallel. Maybe even a couple, or three ways: using forks,
> using threads, using map reduce.

This made me think of one of my favorite observations.

You occasionally hear how the wonderful static type system just forces
your program to be correct: if they compile, they work.  We all know
that this is an exaggeration, but there is one case when this seems to
apply - when refactoring already working code.

IME, it seems that whenever I tear my programs apart, as long as the
type checker agrees the pieces all fit back together, the program works
as i expect it to.

(Perhaps not so easy to apply this to a tutorial setting?)

-k