[Haskell-cafe] Tutorial on Haskell

Neil Bartlett neil at integility.com
Mon Apr 16 07:30:36 EDT 2007

Well, given that concurrency is a hot topic at the moment, how about
something based on STM?

E.g. perhaps some kind of instant messaging server? Or "Twitter" except
scalable. By ruthlessly eliminating features, you could get the core of
one of these down to something that could be built in three hours.

But please, no Santa Clauses ;-)

Neil

> Friends
>
> I have agreed to give a 3-hr tutorial on Haskell at the Open Source
Convention 2007
>         http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2007/
>
> I'm quite excited about this: it is a great opportunity to expose
Haskell to a bunch of smart folk, many of whom won't know much about
Haskell.  My guess is that they'll be Linux/Perl/Ruby types, and they'll
be
> practitioners rather than pointy-headed academics.
>
> One possibility is to do a tutorial along the lines of "here's how to
reverse a list", "here's what a type is" etc; you know the kind of
thing. But instead, I'd prefer to show them programs that they might
consider *useful* rather than cute, and introduce the language along the
way, as it were.

> So this message is to ask you for your advice.  Many of you are exactly
the kind of folk that come to OSCON --- except that you know Haskell.
So help me out:

>         Suggest concrete examples of programs that are
>                 * small
>                 * useful
>                 * demonstrate Haskell's power
>                 * preferably something that might be a bit
>                         tricky in another language
>
> For example, a possible unifying theme would be this:
>         http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Simple_unix_tools
>
> Another might be Don's cpu-scaling example
>         http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/blog/2007/03/10
>
> But there must be lots of others.  For example, there are lots in the
blog entries that Don collects for the Haskell Weekly Newsletter.  But
I'd like to use you as a filter: tell me your favourites, the examples
you find compelling.  (It doesn't have to be *your* program... a URL to
a great blog entry is just fine.)  Of course I'll give credit to the
author.