[Haskell-cafe] Why Perl is more learnable than Haskell

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Wed Apr 11 20:26:37 EDT 2007

kynn wrote:
> (I don't need elegant
> factorial or Fibonacci functions in my everyday work.)

I think you do.  Most of your utility programs probably fit into the
simple frame of

main = interact $ unlines . map f . lines

for suitable f.  Of course, f is hardly ever the factorial function, but
it is a function.  My guess is, you think you "just wanted a loop" when
in reality you need to lift a function to work over a list.

> Or I can always wait until I retire; then I'll probably have a sufficiently
> long stretch of free time in my hands

You may need patience, too.

-Udo