[Haskell-cafe] Why Perl is more learnable than Haskell

jim burton jim at sdf-eu.org
Wed Apr 11 15:34:43 EDT 2007

kynn wrote:

> Perl is a large, ugly, messy language filled with quirks and
> eccentricities, while Haskell is an extremely elegant language whose
> design is guided by a few overriding ideas.  (Or so I'm told.)
>
> [snip]

May I ask why you want to learn it so much, if you find it so hard? I'm sure
most would disagree with me but maybe you'd be better off with perl for your
one liners and scripts if it serves your purpose well. You say that you've
heard Haskell is extremely elegant, but is that really the reason you want
to start using it as your general purpose and scripting language? I'm also
interested in it myself because of it's elegance, and in order to learn
different paradigms, to explore the strength of the type system etc etc, but
I'm not in a particular rush to be able to use it as the one true language
for scripting or web applications, or xyz, as quite a few people lately seem
to be asking about. Just curious.