[Haskell-cafe] Why Perl is more learnable than Haskell

David Tolpin david.tolpin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:46:46 EDT 2007

> If you first language is LISP probably you find easy Haskell and difficult
> pearl.

Hi,

my first programming language is lisp (that is, the language I am most
fluent in -- recently Common Lisp, earlier Scheme) and I find Haskell a
problematic programming language (this is a fresh experience -- I am writing
a syndrome-networks based DSS in Haskell now) because it is not a language.
Lisp is a language and Haskell is not, in the sense that lisp allows to
write programs that can be read aloud and understood from reading the code.

Haskell is a notation that is not a literature by itself, and for Haskell,
literate programming, that is, writing more comments than code, is a must;
while for lisp it is a rather exotic practice.

David