[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Fixpoint combinator without recursion

Edsko de Vries devriese at cs.tcd.ie
Wed Apr 4 17:11:10 EDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:05:51PM +0200, Stefan Holdermans wrote:
> Edsko,
>
> >>Yeah, it's rather cool. IIRC, this style of encoding of recursion
> >>operators is attributed to Morris.
> >
> >Do you have a reference?
>
> James H. Morris. Lambda calculus models of programming languages.
> Technical Report MIT-LCS//MIT/LCS/TR-57, Massachusetts Institute of
> Technology, 1968.

Aah, I guess that's a bit old to be avaiable online :) Does he talk
about negative datatypes though? The Y combinator itself isn't really
the point of my little exercise; it's more that I can code the Y
combinator without making any recursive calls (in fact, there aren't any
recursive calls in that program at all).

Edsko