[Haskell-cafe] Keeping a symbol table with Parsec

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 17:48:30 EDT 2007

Are there any examples of keeping a symbol table with Parsec?

I'm translating a parser from OCaml and I do this

       { add $3 TypNumOut; SimpleOutputDec ($3, Number) }

Meaning that if a keyword Output is followed by ":" and an identifier
and then "(NumericSimple)" then add identifier to the symbol table as
a Number and box it in a constructor.

Then in my lexer I do a lookup to check if I have seen this
identifier and if I have seen one of type TypeNumOut I return the
token NUM instead of ID. This ensures that I can have rules with the
token NUM as opposed to ID everywhere.

How would I accomplish the same with Parsec, that is 1) update a
symbol table and 2) check identifiers and "return a different token"?

	Thanks, Joel