[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: HSH 1.2.0

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 09:35:47 EDT 2007

> As you have built ghc6.6 from sources I think that you also need to build
> all haskell libs from sources. So, do

I did this, and got the feeling this would probably work, but is a
real sad world of dependency chasing with no (clear) end in sight.

So I investigated your second suggestion

> Another way is to take ghc6 and all haskell libs from fiesty.

which to me seems much preferrable.

http://old.pupeno.com/blog/unstable-packages-on-ubuntu/

Was indispensible in helping me figure out how to do this.

To give some details on this (which is really more apt packaging know
how than haskell but whatever), I did something like

1) change /etc/apt/sources.list to add

deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted
universe multiverse

note, only add deb-src line here, not deb line, see article above for why.

sudo aptitude install fakeroot (needed utility)
fakeroot apt-get source --build ghc6
  -- complains, some dependencies are missing

sudo aptitude install .....
 install packages with above command, not from source. it's my first
time using the aptitude command, I wonder if this does the same thing
as apt-get install, which is what I usually do. Whatever the case...

fakeroot apt-get source --build ghc6

works :)