[Haskell-cafe] Mutable variables eliminated from .NET | Lambda the Ultimate

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Apr 1 22:06:17 EDT 2007

As seen on reputable language news site, Lambda the Ultimate.
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/2164

    Mutable variables eliminated from .NET

    Redmond, WA: At an unusual press conference held this Sunday morning,
    Bill Taylor, Microsoft's General Manager of Platform Strategy, announced
    that after much research into the causes of security holes and
    instabilities, Microsoft will eliminate mutable variables from the .NET
    platform and its languages, including C# and VB.NET. "One of our top
    researchers found that mutable variables were the major root cause
    preventing us from achieving the great user experience we always strive
    to deliver," said Taylor. "Once we realized that, eliminating them from
    .NET was a no-brainer."

    Given that this announcement was made on a Sunday, reactions have been
    limited so far, but one prominent VB.NET developer commented that
    "Compared to the switch from VB6 to VB.NET, this ought to be a breeze."
    A C# developer was heard to say, "After anonymous delegates, monads
    shouldn't be a problem."

    To ensure wide penetration of this significant update, Microsoft will be
    issuing updated Windows CDs to all licensed customers, free of charge.
    The new CDs can be identified by the distinctive holographic "Haskell
    Inside" logo, featuring a holographic version of this[1] portrait of Simon
    Peyton-Jones, grinning from ear to ear.

    [1] http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/GIFs/spj-snow.jpg