[Haskell-cafe] smallest double eps

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Sat Sep 30 04:19:50 EDT 2006

Hang on, hang on, now I'm getting confused.

First you asked for the smallest (positive) x such that
    1+x /= x
which is around x=4.5e15.
Then Joachim wondered if you wanted
    1+x /= 1
which is around x=2.2e-16.
But not you claim to be looking for the smallest positive number that
a Double can represent.  Which is a totally different beast.  The
smallest possible Double depends on if you want to accept
denormalized numbers or not.  If you don't, then it's about x=4.5e-308.

Now what is the number you are looking for?

	-- Lennart