[Haskell-cafe] existential types (was Re: Optimization problem)

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 29 06:19:26 EDT 2006

I must be missing your point.  Newtype is just type isomorphism; a new
name for an existing type.  But there is not existing type "exists x.
T(x)".  So it's not surprising that newtype doesn't support
existentials.

I've lost track of this thread.  Can you re-state the question?  I'm
strongly influence by the question "can we translate this into System F
+ (existential) data types" because (a) that's what GHC does (b) it's an
excellent sanity check.  E.g. if you can, then we know the system is
sound.

Simon