[Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a 5GL?

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Sep 28 21:26:11 EDT 2006

david.curran:
> Where are compute languages going?
> I think multi core, distributed, fault tolerant.
> So you would end up with a computer of the sort envisioned by Hillis
> in the 80s with his data parallel programs. The only language that
> seems even close to this model is Erlang. What am I missing about the
> ability of Haskell to distribute across processors or a network?

Data parallel Haskell is a very active area at the moment,
    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/project/dph/

Just last week Roman Leshchinskiy was able to get parallel arrays
running SMP GHC on a shared memory 40 cpu Sun sparc server :)

Also, GPH and its ilk have a long history:
    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Research_papers/Parallelism_and_concurrency

-- Don