[Haskell-cafe] Re: Is Haskell a 5GL?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 02:24:32 EDT 2006

Hello Max,

Ch>> That's a religious statement.  I was looking for some strong
Ch>> arguments for the nonbelievers that Haskell is a 5GL.
> But what about nonbelievers in language classification by generation?

i was not on the market when 1..3 GLs arrived, but i've seen 4/5 GL
story and it was just marketing tool. 4gl was used to market
task-specific languages embedded in some applications or used to
quickly build applications, such as Clarion Database Developer. this
name was used just to emphasize advantages of these laguages over
general-purpose (3gl) ones in the areas that was targeted by these
languages

when Japan supercomputing/new programming paradigm was arrived, it was
also marketed as 5 gl - not because it's superior to 4gl, but just
because 4'th number was already used :)  Japan project failed its
goals, and logic programming don't ruled the world. but in some sense
you can say that 5gl was about describing the problem instead of the
way to solve it (algorithm=3gl), so FP is closer to this goal than C++
or Java

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com