[Haskell-cafe] Getting the latest

Lyle Kopnicky lists at qseep.net
Tue Sep 26 21:12:00 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

I am running GHC 6.4.1 on my Linux box at work, which is the latest
packaged version for Ubuntu Dapper Drake. (They have a 6.4.2 package for
Edgy, but I don't know how to install that. The Synaptic Package Manager
seems to only want to install packages specifically labeled for Dapper
Drake.)

I tried downloading the latest binary snapshot. But when I try to unpack
the archive, bzip2 tells me it's a bad archive. So, I downloaded the
latest source version. That unpacked just fine, and I'm currently
building it.

My question is, when I do 'make install', will it just overwrite the
version (6.4.1) I already have? Or will they go in separate places? I
have no idea how it decides where to go. Right now ghc 6.4.1 is in
/usr/local/bin/ghc. After I 'make install', will it be ghc 6.5? I don't
want to screw up the installed package so it can't be updated later.

Thanks,
Lyle