[Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a 5GL?

Jerzy Karczmarczuk jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Mon Sep 25 10:50:36 EDT 2006

Alex Queiroz wrote:

> On 9/25/06, Ch. A. Herrmann <herrmann at uni-passau.de> wrote:

>> Henning Thielemann wrote:
>>
>> > assembly language (Assembler ist deutsch :-)
>>
>> for mysterious reasons it entered the English world.

>     'Assembly' is a language. 'Assembler' is a program.

All this is absolutely essential for the progress of Humanity...

But, anyway, "Assembler" was the official name of the assembly
language of IBM 360/370 if I am not mistaken. And I believe that
it infiltrated die Deutsche Sprache therefrom. Good followers
of Konrad Duden called a compiler: Uebersetzer, so perhaps the
assemblers had here and there some Wagnerian names as well...

(For the CDC mainframes the assembly language was called Compass
[Comprehensive Assembler]. It was a 7648764GL. You could program
in it almost like in Lisp thanks to some very exquisite macros,
and add another set of macros which performed some type checking
and optimized the register allocation. People who used it got
famous (as M. Veltman, Nobel prize in physics), or got mad.)

OK, who next?...