[Haskell-cafe] Haskell.org down

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 23 16:15:18 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 09:58 -0400, Paul Hudak wrote:
> Thanks Don.  I alerted our IT staff this morning, and they seem to have
> things working again, although here is their final response:
>
>     The web server had over 150 client connections which exceeded
>     its limit. I restarted the web server and all is well.
>
>     I'll keep and eye on it and see if someone is trying a denial of
>     server attack, or it could be you need a newer faster machine. :-)
>
> So either Haskell is getting really popular (on a Friday night?) or
> there's something fishy going on.

I've noticed this happen several times in the past. It would have 150
hung connections but not very high cpu or network usage. On those
occasions I restated httpd to get things going again.

Looking at the httpd access logs it looked to me like an errant indexing
bot. One example of something we might want to ban bots from is from
accessing all past revisions and diffs of wiki pages. But generally we
probably just need to look at the logs and try and see what's going on.

Duncan