[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Re: compiler-independent core libraries infrastructure

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 12:12:34 EDT 2006

[Moving to cafe for follow up discussions]

Hi Bulat,

So, just to confirm in my mind what you are proposing:

Compiler/Version specific Core:

Yhc.Core, Hugs.Core, GHC.Core ....

With a different version for each compiler version. Tied intimately to
the compiler.

The leveler:

Core - which abstracts each version/variant of *.Core into one big
pile. Contains versions of STM/Arrays in Pure Haskell which might not
give the expected performance, but at least keep the semantics as best
they can.

Base:

Pure Haskell which depends on Core, but NOT on *.Core.

(Then after you split up base - useful, but personally not of massive
importance to me ;) )

I think this is a great plan! Now you have a concrete idea of what you
want to achieve in the end, how are you going to get there? It seems a
rather ambitious project.

Perhaps you might be best suited by getting base to compile with Cabal
(and maybe even natively on Windows - without MingW), then you can go
from there to the splitting in a Cabal friendly manner without hacking
through makefiles?

Anyway, once you have decided what you want, I'm sure the Yhc team
will do their best to help you get to where you want with regards to
that specific compiler. Just to try and keep your work more generally
applicable, it would be nice if you kept the Hat project in the back
of your mind, so that this work can be reused by them to get full
haskell.org libraries.

Thanks

Neil