[Haskell-cafe] Optimization problem

Brian Brunswick brian at ithil.org
Fri Sep 15 05:28:35 EDT 2006

On 15/09/06, Lennart Augustsson <lennart at augustsson.net> wrote:

> >> [(3,[x,z]),(1,[y]),(2,[w])]
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> Furthermore it should work on infinite lists. It can't eat the whole
> >> list before producing any output.
> >
> > This doesn't seem to make sense?  Only at the end of the list can you
> > know that you've collected all the events for each channel.  If you
> > output anything before scanning to the end, you'd not know if there
> > were perhaps more events on that channel?
> It makes good sense.  Each list will of events will be evaluated
> lazily, so thing will appear there as they appear in the input.
>
> I don't think you can do it in Haskell without some magic in the IO/
> ST monad.

But even if you could do it, its very hard to safely /use/ the result.
Looking for the next event on any channel runs the risk that actually there
are no more events ever on that channel, and a resultant scan to the end of
the infinite list!

--
Brian_Brunswick____brian at ithil.org____Wit____Disclaimer____!Shortsig_rules!