[Haskell-cafe] foreach

Rich Neswold rich.neswold at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 11:34:00 EDT 2006

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> we can also develop some ideas that will allow user to extend language
> with imperative-friendly features. first, the problem is that Haskell
> requires to exactly specify order of evaluation.

> second, we need to be able to define new keywords together with using
> layout statements in our constructs:

> and last problem is what code to generate for break/continue (goto? :)
> operation
I realize Mr. Ziganshin has much more experience with Haskell than I (I
only became aware of Haskell in the last year and I'm still struggling
with the more advanced corners of the language.) But I have to
respectfully disagree with these suggestions. At no point have I wished
that Haskell adopt more from the imperative programming world! Others
have already shown how "foreach" can be written in a functional manner.
I think it's more important that we (the new members of the Haskell
community) learn the language rather than make the language more
familiar to imperative programmers.

My exposure to Haskell (in its current form) motivated me to attend this
year's ICFP conference. (I'm looking forward to attending the Haskell
Workshop this Sunday.)

--
 Rich