[Haskell-cafe] RE: [Haskell] Re: H/Direct (HaskellDirect) still maintained?

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 12 07:00:49 EDT 2006

On 08 September 2006 17:35, Andreas Marth wrote:

> Now that I used a more recent ghc (6.4.2 which has cabal-1.1.4
> installed) I did install comlib with it.
> But I am a bit surprised because it did not generate a ihc. So how do
> I get a Proxy from an idl-file now?
>
> If I look at the files in vsHaskell they state "Automatically
> generated by HaskellDirect (ihc.exe) ....".
> Does anybody know how to generate ihc.exe?

comlib is just the COM interface library, it doesn't include ihc (the
IDL compiler, which is part of H/Direct).

Some of the the Visual Haskell sources were originally generated by ihc,
but since then we have modified the sources by hand, and we're no longer
using ihc.  You should be able to use these files as example code to see
how to write your COM interface code.  It's a lot of tedious
boilerplate, unfortunately.  Maybe someone will resurrect or write a
replacement for ihc someday.

Cheers,
	Simon