[Haskell-cafe] HaXml and ghci unresolved symbol

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Sep 9 08:17:36 EDT 2006

probably it's me, but I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong.

I'm trying to learn HaXml. I've never used it before and I never did
xml processing in Haskell. So I'm a total newbie!!

I downloaded and compiled. Everything seems fine. I'm also able to run
some examples in the related directory of the source tree.

Then I try doing something myself. Very simply, a document with just
one element:

module Xml where
import Text.XML.HaXml

xml = "<a>test</a>"
doc = xmlParse "test" xml
elemName (Document prolog _ (Elem name _ _) _) = name

When I try it:

*Xml> elemName doc

I get a message I've never got before (I'm a newbie!) and I don't know
whether the problem is in my code (this would be my first guess), in
HaXml or in GHCi. And so I cannot even start understanding out to
solve it:

During interactive linking, GHCi couldn't find the following symbol:
This may be due to you not asking GHCi to load extra object files,
archives or DLLs needed by your current session.  Restart GHCi, specifying
the missing library using the -L/path/to/object/dir and -lmissinglibname
flags, or simply by naming the relevant files on the GHCi command line.
Alternatively, this link failure might indicate a bug in GHCi.
If you suspect the latter, please send a bug report to:
  glasgow-haskell-bugs at haskell.org

xmlParse is defined in Text.Xml.HaXml (xmlParse :: String -> String ->
Document) and it should be imported by Text.XML.HaXml.

Can you give me please some directions?

Thanks for your kind attention.