[Haskell-cafe] Re: how do you debug programs?

Tamas K Papp tpapp at Princeton.EDU
Wed Sep 6 08:13:09 EDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 06:33:32AM -0400, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> I've also used Visual Studio, and I wouldn't mind having something
> like that for Haskell.  But I have to agree with Jon, I think the
> best way of debugging is to understand your code.  I think people who
> come from imperative programming come with a mind set that you
> understand your code by stepping through it in the debugger.  But I
> find this paradigm much less useful for functional code.

At this point, I need debugging not because I don't understand my
code, but because I don't understand Haskell ;-) Most of the mistakes
I make are related to indentation, precedence (need to remember that
function application binds tightly).  The compiler and the type system
catches some mistakes, but a few remain.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tamas