[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re: A free monad theorem?

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Mon Sep 4 01:44:28 EDT 2006

You are right, but I was using "extraction" in a rather non-technical
sense.
Look at it this way: we have 'x >>= f', let's assume it's the
continuation monad.  Assuming f has type 'a -> C b' we must have
something of type a to be able to call the function be at all.
Somehow >>= is able make sure that f is called (modulo non-
termination), so I still claim it "extracts" an 'a'.  It's not a
value that >>= will actually ever get its hands on, it only manages
to make sure its passed to f.  So somewhere there is an 'a' lurking,
or f could not be called.

Perhaps you don't want to call that "extraction", and that's fine by
me. :)

	-- Lennart