[Haskell-cafe] Error building Edison

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 3 22:43:33 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 22:00, Lyle Kopnicky wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I tried to build edison- with the command 'make system'
> but got:
> *** Exception: Line 10: Unknown field 'hs-source-dirs'
> I am using GHC 6.4.1. Any idea how to fix this?

You are probably using an older version of Cabal.  You can either upgrade
Cabal or, from the Edison README*:

This version of edison builds correctly with Cabal version 1.1.4,
which is shipped with GHC 6.4.2.  To build on earlier versions,
it should suffice to:

in the .cabal files.

The 'hs-source-dir' cabal directive was depreciated in 1.1.4, but perhaps I
should have waited a bit longer to change it.  OTOH, there isn't any good way
to deal with the change in the undecidable instances flag, since it was
outright changed.  Grrrr..... *grumble* incompatible changes in minor
releases *grumble*.

(*) Further, grrrr... in the above, I've fixed several embarrasing typos in
the text of the README.

> Thanks,
> Lyle

Rob Dockins

Talk softly and drive a Sherman tank.
Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.
       -- TMBG