[Haskell-cafe] Re: The Future of MissingH

Max Vasin max.vasin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 02:04:15 EST 2006

Benjamin> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
>> Friday, November 24, 2006, 7:32:55 PM, you wrote:
>> Josef Svenningsson posted a comment on my blog today that got me to
>>> thinking.  He suggested that people may be "intimidated by the
>>> size of MissingH, confused by the undescriptive name, and
>>> don't quite know what's in there."  And I think he's right.
>>
>> first, is it possible to integrate MissingH inside existing
>> core libs, i.e. Haskell libs supported by Haskell community? i
>> think that it will be impossible if MissingH will hold its GPL
>> status. i think that such fundamental library as MissingH
>> should be BSDified to allow use it both in commercial and
>> non-commercial code

Benjamin> I hate to be nitpicking but GPL is not only compatible
Benjamin> with but encourages commerce in general and commercial
Benjamin> software in particular. It is incompatible with
Benjamin> proprietary software. There's a difference.

A small addition: some GPLed libraries (libstdc++ AFAIK) allow
linking with proprietary software by adding clause to lisence
which relaxes GPL requirements.

--
WBR,
Max Vasin.