[Haskell-cafe] Implicit params and typeclasses

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Nov 24 07:26:38 EST 2006

Grzegorz

A nice example!  I don't think I'd really realised before that a type like
        forall a. (?x::a) => Int
is not ambiguous at all, even though the Int part does not mention the 'a'.  Why not?  Because a call site will give the ?x binding, and that in turn fixes a.

I've fixed GHC (the HEAD) to allow this.  The patch is in an area that I have upheaved recently, so I doubt it'll appear in 6.6.1.  Use the HEAD, or wait for 6.8.

Thanks for suggesting this.  Your example (and name) are immortalised in the regression test suite.

Simon