[Haskell-cafe] question about "How to Write a Haskell Program" tutorial

Michael Vanier mvanier at cs.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 24 01:29:45 EST 2006

First off, I apologize if this has come up before.  As far as I can tell, the
mailing list archives don't have a search function.  I'm running ghc-6.6 and
haddock-0.8, both compiled from source.

I'm working my way through the "How to Write a Haskell Program" tutorial (which
is a great idea, thanks guys!), and everything works fine until I get to the
part about creating the haddock documentation.  When I run:

$ runhaskell Setup.hs haddock

I get this:

Preprocessing executables for haq-0.0...
Running Haddock for haq-0.0...
Warning: cannot use package haq-0.0:
    ghc-pkg failed

With verbosity:

$ runhaskell Setup.hs haddock -v

I get this:

Preprocessing executables for haq-0.0...
Running Haddock for haq-0.0...
/usr/local/packages/haskell-misc/bin/haddock --html --odir=dist/doc/html/haq
--title=haq --use-package=haq-0.0 --use-package=base-2.0 dist/build/tmp/Haq.hs
Warning: cannot use package haq-0.0:
    ghc-pkg failed

Note that I'm installing into a non-standard location.

I have no idea why haddock (called from cabal) is trying to use a package that
is in the process of being created.  Nevertheless, the documentation does get
generated.  Is this just something that should be ignored?  Is it a Cabal bug?

Mike