[Haskell-cafe] Re: Difficult memory leak in array processing

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Thu Nov 23 16:13:25 EST 2006

apfelmus at quantentunnel.de wrote:
> >>         (lo, hi) <- getBounds buf

> >           let (lo,hi) = bounds buf
>
> The interface changed between GHC 6.4.2 and 6.6.
> But no honorable Haskell paladin would ever dare to use UndeadArrays.

Hm, and 'bounds' is simply gone?  Hope that doesn't bite in an
unexpected way.

> The strictness analyzer likes Udo more than Niko, does it?

So it seems.  I just tried it with GHC 6.6 and there still is no leak
and no stack overflow.  And frankly, I can't even see where too much
lazyness could creep into this code.  Everything is sequenced by IO, the
array is unboxed, there's hardly any room for an unexpected thunk to
hide in.

-Udo
--
"Science is like sex - sometimes something useful comes out of it, but
that's not what we are doing it for." -- Richard Feynman