[Haskell-cafe] Articles on programming with (IO) exceptions in Haskell?

Jason Dagit dagit at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Tue Nov 21 19:03:51 EST 2006

On 11/21/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> magnus:
> > I'm having problems finding a good introduction to exceptions.  Yet
> > Another Haskell Tutorial leaves it for chapter 10, which is empty.  I'd
> > prefer something that suits a noob.  :-)
>
> Something from here:
>    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Books_and_tutorials#Practical_Haskell
>
> Perhaps:
>    http://research.microsoft.com/%7Esimonpj/Papers/marktoberdorf

That second link, "Tackling the awkward squad..." should be required
reading material for anyone planning to use haskell for "real-world"
stuff.  The reader doesn't even need to know that much Haskell to
benefit from it.  It and "All about monads" are both very nice because
they are accessible to the beginner but still contain useful ideas,
examples and idioms for the intermediate haskell programmer.  I've
also noticed that programmers coming from imperative backgrounds seem
to digest "Tackling the awkward squad..." fairly well and it seems to
answer their need to understand the IO monad.

Jason