[Haskell-cafe] Starting your own Haskell project: part 2

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Sun Nov 19 07:08:53 EST 2006

On 11/19/06, Dougal Stanton <ithika at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quoth Donald Bruce Stewart, nevermore,
> > P.S. It might even be useful to have a tool, haskell-project, which
> > sets up all these files automatically.
>
> I was wondering about that just the other day. Is there such an
> application to interrogate the user about particulars and then create a
> fully compliant *.cabal file?

I'm unaware of such a tool, but as far as UIs go, it should be fairly
straight forward.  It would be nice to have both a text mode and a GUI
version.  This would make an excellent project for someone just
starting in Haskell who wants to make life easier for everyone (a
great way to get some fame in the community).  I'm imagining the tool
looks at your darcs repository, asks you a few questions and then
generates a .cabal file.  Considering that the basic cabal file is
about 10 lines or less, not counting the list of source modules, it's
almost not worth writing.  On the other hand, even as simple as the
.cabal files are I always have to copy an existing one or check the
manual because I never can remember the exact syntax.  Which is how I
see this tool helping.

Do we have any enthusiastic people to take this on?  I bet you could
have something usable in less than a days worth of hacking.

Jason