[Haskell-cafe] Re: what GUI library should i select?

Sebastian Sylvan sylvan at student.chalmers.se
Thu Nov 16 17:15:58 EST 2006

On 11/16/06, Eric Willigers <ewilligers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Hello haskell-cafe,
> >
> > afaik, there are just two good enough libs - wxHaskell and GtkHs. can
> > anyone point (or write) detailed comparison of their features? i plan
> > to write large GUI program in Haskell and want to select best one.
>

> Putting aside issues of completeness and the availability of particular
> components  **, how have people found the Functional Reactive approach used by
> Fruit or FranTk?  The example code for each looks very appealing.
>
> ** Suppose FranTk had been written or generated with Gtk2Hs or wxHaskell as the
> underlying library instead of Tk.

Personally I find all of that stuff really cool in a geeky sort of
way, but for unclear reasons it just doesn't "feel" all that useful
for real-world stuff. It just seems a bit too "heavy"  to use, to the
point where I prefer a much more low level but straightforward
approach (using a thin wrapper on top of imperative libraries).

I'm sorry I can't explain better, but I do think it's a promising area
for research.

/S

--
Sebastian Sylvan