[Haskell-cafe] what GUI library should i select?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 20:29:44 EST 2006

Hi

> Plan 1: prevent gtk2hs initialising when using the threaded RTS.
>
> This is what the dev version does at the moment to prevent people
> shooting themselves in the foot.
>
> The funny thing is that we can actually use Haskell threads with Gtk2Hs
> perfectly well with the single threaded rts (we currently use a polling
> scheme to to cooperative scheduling between gtk+ and ghc rts but there
> are some non-polling possibilities that could be implemented.)

Do these work for my particular application? (running a process in the
background, and sending its stdout to a Gtk Window). The polling I
implemented didn't work very well at all.

> Plan 2: Make the threaded rts do what we want.
>
> This is hard and involves begging Simon M to do lots of work.

How many people are required to beg? I volunteer :)

> Plan 3: perhaps the IO monad isn't the right monad
>
> It's really quite convenient to have complete access to the IO monad
> when doing GUI stuff and that seems to be the design that most recent
> libs have chosen.

Can I read a file in a GUI thread? Can I spawn a process and read an
external handle? I suspect that more and more things would be added to
the GUI monad until GUI == IO.

Thanks

Neil