[Haskell-cafe] Re: best Linux for GHC?

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Mon Nov 13 09:19:55 EST 2006

Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> writes:

> of remaining, Ubuntu has widest support here while SuSe is favourite
> of my friend. one thing that i like in suse is that it uses the same
> RPMs as RedHat and RPMs is widely used for packaging software
> available via internet. Is Ubuntu supports RPMs too?

Hi Bulat,

forget RPM's, real men use DEB's.  Ubuntu -- being a Debian derivative
-- does so, too.  Btw Debian unstable has got GHC 6.6, and isn't
unstable nowadays, except for the name.  Better call it Sid; the
freezing process has already begun.  If you are interested in a stable
system with GHC 6.6, go with Debian Sid until it transforms into Etch
(the next stable version).  Then you can forget hacking Linux for a
couple of years.  On the other hand, it will probably take some months
until release, which brings some risk in the game.
--
Regards,
Feri.