[Haskell-cafe] what GUI library should i select?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 20:10:52 EST 2006

Hi Bulat,

> afaik, there are just two good enough libs - wxHaskell and GtkHs. can
> anyone point (or write) detailed comparison of their features? i plan
> to write large GUI program in Haskell and want to select best one.
> the requirements that i can imagine at this moment is the following:

I used to use wxHaskell. I wanted to write a GUI program using GHC
6.4.2 and was (disturbingly) shocked to find out that _neither_ of the
GUI toolkits had prebuilt packages that worked on Windows with GHC
6.4.2. I complained and within a day Duncan had done one for Gtk2Hs,
and to my knowledge wxHaskell still doesn't have such a packaged
version.

For this reason, I would recommend Gtk2Hs - the level of support and
maintainership is far better than wxHaskell at the moment. I
appreciate wxHaskell has new maintainers, but when picking a GUI
toolkit where you can't easily switch later, currently maintained is a
big bullet point for me!

Thanks

Neil