[Haskell-cafe] Great language shootout: reloaded

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Fri Nov 10 18:59:21 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:44:15 +0100, Donald Bruce Stewart
<dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> So back in January we had lots of fun tuning up Haskell code for the
> Great Language Shootout[1]. We did quite well at the time, at one point
> ranking overall first[2]. [...]

Haskell suddenly dropped several places in the overall socre, when the
size measurement changed from line-count to number-of-bytes after
gzipping. Maybe it's worth it, to study why this is; Haskell programs are
often much more compact then programs in other languages, but after
gzipping, other languages do much better. One reason I can think of, is
that for very short programs, the import statements weigh heavily.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--