[Haskell-cafe] Fractional/negative fixity?

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 17:25:23 EST 2006

I don't see how it's too complex. Isn't

  infixl ??
  prec ?? < $
  (??) = whenOperator

exactly what you want to say?

Sure you can solve the problem with negative fixities, but that's less
expressive than the above (the total order is actually an
over-specification). You want ?? to bind more tightly than does $;
that's exactly what this approach would let you specify.

When conjuring a number less than 0, what makes -1 a more appropriate
choice than -2? There's really no answer to that question. Fractional
fixities make it even worse.

Nick