[Haskell-cafe] Fractional/negative fixity?

Henning Thielemann haskell at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Nov 7 11:15:12 EST 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Simon Marlow wrote:

> I'd support fractional and negative fixity.  It's a simple change to
> make, but we also have to adopt
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/haskell-prime/trac.cgi/wiki/FixityResolution
>
> I've added the proposal to the end of that page.  In fact, the page
> already mentioned that we could generalise fixity levels, but it didn't
> mention fractional or negative values being allowed.

Maybe that page could also mention earlier proposals and the solutions
without precedence numbers. I prefer the non-numeric approach with rules
like "(<) binds more tightly than (&&)", because it says what is intended
and it allows to make things unrelated that are unrelated, e.g. infix
operators from different libraries. Consequently a precedence relation to
general infix operators like ($) and (.) had be defined in each library.