[Haskell-cafe] How to design default implementations of type class methods?

Matthias Fischmann fis at wiwi.hu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 6 13:33:35 EST 2006

i haven't thought this through, but a variant of your first option may
be to factor out extendedGCD into a class PIDEXT that is a parent of
PID (occurs in the context of the declaration of PID).  this way both
methods will be available in PID.

 advantages: the dependencies are a little more explicit
             cycles are easier to avoid.

 drawbacks: more complicated interface
            less flexibility in implementation

also i think there was an issue with superclass constraints not being
inferrable from explicit subclass constraints, leading to bulky type
signatures all over the code that is using your classes.

but perhaps this gives somebody a better idea?
m.